Problem of Practice Update

I began by thinking my problem of practice was the lack of knowing the students and parents and the culture of the school. I thought that by working hard to engage the students and parents I would have more of an impact. However, the previous teacher left almost nothing in terms of curriculum so I have actually been building assignments, lessons and all the work for the students. I have been working 12-16 hours a day just to get lessons to the students. Students were absent constantly and not engaged when they were there. Parents were angry and very mean-spirited.

I read an article that changed my focus and my project. I posted the article  on my Diigo and it has really been transformative.
https://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/2012/01/14/building-rapport-with-students/

"Rapport is nothing more than a connection you make with your students based on their positive feelings for you. When they like you and trust you, and when you in turn like and believe in them, you’ll form a bond that makes classroom management a lot easier." 

My plan for the prototype is to be a fun and carefree teacher that loves reading and playing games, almost like that cool aunt everyone wants to hang out with. 

So, my experimentation has been around that concept. I have switched my focus toward myself and focusing on being a joyful, fun teacher with a good sense of humor. I am not stressing about the lessons that are going awry or the technical glitches. I just say "Oh, wow things are not working well" and move on to making jokes and connecting with the students. 
I watched the TED video posted from the class about the prototype being achievable and having the biggest impact. I work tirelessly to connect with students, but they have to want to connect with me I realized from the article or the point is moot. So, using the design thinking model of empathy and discovery, I have begun testing the prototype. 


Comments

  1. It is a good idea to be mindful of the person you are projecting to your students. To have a better understanding of what is working in your classroom, try starting a reflection journal. You can list what new methods you have attempted, the challenges you face, and the results of your efforts in the classroom. This space can be digital, in a notebook, or on sticky notes; but it is important to set aside time each day or week to reflect on what is and isn't working. This is also a great tool to bring to administrators to start a conversation about what you are doing or to show the efforts you are making with your students in your classroom. Connecting with your students is an important piece of teaching, but it is also important to monitor and document your own growth as a teacher and identify instructional strategies that work well with your class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. 'm sorry that you were put in this type of situation. It's nice that you are trying to be mindful of how parents and students are engaged in the learning experience. I think that starting with a parent and student survey to see how the previous teacher did things would be a pretty good start to see which ideas might work and start from there. I also think that keeping track of everything that you do would also be helpful for the future. You could use this information to tweak certain things about these lessons that you've tried in order to make them better. Also, if there are any other teachers or administrators who are available they are most likely cool with giving your feedback or ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog