Problem of Practice Update I began by thinking my problem of practice was the lack of knowing the students and parents and the culture of the school. I thought that by working hard to engage the students and parents I would have more of an impact. However, the previous teacher left almost nothing in terms of curriculum so I have actually been building assignments, lessons and all the work for the students. I have been working 12-16 hours a day just to get lessons to the students. Students were absent constantly and not engaged when they were there. Parents were angry and very mean-spirited. I read an article that changed my focus and my project. I posted the article on my Diigo and it has really been transformative. https://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/2012/01/14/building-rapport-with-students/ "Rapport is nothing more than a connection you make with your students based on their positive feelings for you . When they like you and trust you, and when you in turn lik...
Popular posts from this blog
My problem of practice is building rapport and community with students, parents and colleagues as a long-term substitute entering the classroom mid-year. It is unclear if I will return the next school year in the same classroom, so I think it creates a stressful and somewhat unsafe feeling for everyone. Some of the issues involve learning the new computer system and making sure everything runs smoothly. When the system has a glitch or problem, a few students and parents lash out at me. I am trying to find the best ways to 1) connect with students and create good relationships 2) build trust with parents to lower their anxiety level I am initially thinking a sort of "hangout" time would work best and help me get to know the students quickly.
Hello! I have never used Blogger before so I am excited. I work in a large urban school district as a substitute teacher and I also work as an online tutor/teacher. I am hoping to solve a number problems my students face as they learn online. I am hoping to think creatively and share some great ideas during the class.
Comments
Post a Comment